Contacting service providers and getting quotes to repair your roof, HVAC system, appliances, or anything else in your home that needs fixing can be a drag. And if the broken item isn’t causing too much of a headache, it may seem easier to wait and see what happens. But putting off home repairs may not be the best idea. Here’s why:
- Additional damage. A few drops from your leaky roof that could have been fixed by replacing a few shingles might turn into a steady stream that could eventually lead to a waterfall in your family room and require a whole new roof – not to mention all sorts of costly interior repairs – if you wait too long to take care of it.
- Additional cost. Small problems that get fixed right away often cost less than the larger problems they can turn into if you keep delaying the repairs for another day (or week, or month, or year).
- Takes longer to fix. Just like delaying repairs can lead to additional costs, it can also lead to lengthier repair times. A problem that could have been solved in a few hours might take days or even weeks to fix if you don’t address it right away.
- Danger. Some repairs – like the garage door you have to occasionally put back on the track manually – are an annoyance. Others – like damaged pipes, faulty wiring, or a malfunctioning heating unit in the middle of winter – can be dangerous if they’re not repaired quickly.
- Comfort. Even if the repairs you’ve been putting off don’t pose a danger to you and your family, it’s a lot more comfortable to live in a home where everything’s working the way it’s supposed to work. Fixing stuff sooner rather than later means you get to enjoy your house more. And if you’re planning to sell in the future, it’s one less thing you’ll have to do to get your home ready to put on the market.
If you’ve been putting off home repairs or thinking about doing some renovations, Homeowners Financial Group may be able to help you tap into the equity in your home to pay for these projects. Talk to one of our Licensed Mortgage Professionals today to go over your financing options with us!