Here at Homeowners Financial Group, striving to make your mortgage process completely stress-free is a big part of our mission to improve the lives we touch. The process of actually moving into a new home, especially if you have children, is a different can of worms.
We don’t pretend to have all the answers for eliminating the stress from that aspect of buying a home. We do, however, have a few suggestions that might help make your sailing smoother when you’re relocating with kiddos in tow.
- Prepare ahead of time. As far in advance of moving day as possible, let your children know that your family will be living elsewhere soon. Get them excited about the change by telling them how awesome their new abode will be, how nice the neighborhood is, and how many new friends they’ll make there. Reading children’s books about moving can also help ease their anxiety.
- Get them involved. They might be too young to help you decide which moving company you’re going to hire, but kids of all ages can help you pack the small stuff and put labels on the moving boxes. If that’s not exciting enough for them, let them pick the paint color for their new room!
- Ask for help. Moving is a major undertaking, so it’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the logistics, especially with children running around and begging to be entertained. Don’t be afraid to see if family or friends are available to babysit or host a sleepover or two during your move.
- Pack a special bag. Fill it with items that will command your kids’ interest during the move, like their favorite books and video games. Also add everything else you know they’ll want to have easy access to upon arriving at your new home, so they don’t have to wait for it to be unpacked from the bottom of a stuffed box.
- Maintain routines. Even though your move is intended to be an improvement for the family, it can still be disruptive, especially for the young ones. Try to continue following regular sleep and meal schedules amid all the hustle and bustle.
- Set up their room first. Make it a priority and prepare a space that your kids can call their own right away. They’ll instantly feel more comfortable, and it will give them a place to go while you get all the other rooms in the house squared away.
Parents, we hope these tips are as helpful as we pride ourselves on being during your home financing process. Contact your local Homeowners Licensed Mortgage Professional today and see how easy getting a mortgage can be. Ideally, it’ll be much easier than moving!